Friday, May 15, 2015

Million Dollar Question by Ellie Campbell

Published April 25, 2015 by Across the Pond Press

Just as a huge financial scandal throws New Yorker, Olivia Wheeler, from wealth and success to bankruptcy and shame, struggling impoverished single-mother Rosie Dixon wins an unexpected million pounds. Good luck? Bad luck? Who can tell? Both women have more in common than they realize. While Olivia struggles to survive her humiliations, fleeing broke and homeless to London, shy unassuming Rosie discovers sudden riches arrive with their own mega-load of problems.

Can workaholic career-obsessed Olivia find a passion for something earthier and warmer than power and prestige? And can Rosie sift through envy and greed to discover true friends, true family and even true love? Two strangers who’ve never met. Yet neither realises how each is affecting the other’s destiny or the places their paths touch and fates entwine.
But will they surmount the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune?

That is the million dollar question.

My Thoughts…

This could be a tough review to write, only because I have to watch what I say not to give away too much.   I wouldn’t want to ruin the book for anyone.   This is definitely a book that you want to pick up and not have any spoilers.   

Million Dollar Question is the story of two worlds.   The world of having money and the world of not having money.    Olivia came from a world of money and then lost it all.   Rosie came from the world of not having money and then received a huge winning.    It was interesting to see how their worlds changed when their circumstances changed.     Neither character was prepared to handle their new lives and struggle immensely.  

Rosie realizes that not everything is perfect and happy when you have money.  While Olivia realizes that not having money is not the end of the world.    I enjoyed both characters.    I felt sorry for Rosie.  Yes, she had money, but she lost so much with that money and quickly realized who her true friends were and that she did not have as many as she thought.    I loved Olivia.   Watching her struggle to make ends meet made her a more realistic person to me.    Seeing her find her true self and realize what is important was the perfect way for Olivia to come out on top of her life.  

When Ellie Campbell gave away the way these two characters were linked I was shocked.   I never saw it coming.  My only real complaint, or wish, is that they had explored that connection a little more.  Both characters accepted their link without much question and I felt that neither Olivia or Rosie would have been that easy.  


I love Ellie Campbell.  I have read a few of their books and have always been entertained by them.   I certainly recommend checking out Million Dollar Question and the rest of their books.    

Book Links   

No comments:

Post a Comment