Friday, July 31, 2015

Heads or Tails by Leslie A. Gordon

Published May 31, 2015 by Leslie A. Gordon    
           
“Take my baby.”

Hillary can’t believe the words her best friend Margot just uttered. Deeply committed to her devoutly childless marriage, Hillary doesn’t know the first thing about infants – and has zero interest in learning. But Margot’s post-partum depression has reached a dangerous peak. With the baby a sperm donor production and Margot’s mother Jean suffering from Parkinson’s, there’s no one else. And for reasons nobody knows, Hillary owes both Margot and Jean.

Suddenly, Hillary is forced to bring the baby from Manhattan to San Francisco, where she works as general contractor for the city’s hottest restoration company. Right away, the baby’s arrival exposes hairline cracks in Hillary’s marriage to Jesse and stirs up latent resentment towards her parents, who’d been too overcome with grief to ever parent her properly. Before long, Hillary finds herself doing all kinds of things she vowed never to do, including things with her handsome and mysterious neighbor Abe. And then the question arises: should this arrangement become permanent?

Fans of Jodi Picoult, Emily Giffin and Jennifer Weiner will be drawn to the fresh premise of HEADS OR TAILS, a story that explores themes of friendship and loyalty and what happens when your core identity is challenged. Perfect for book clubs, the Kindle edition concludes with questions for discussion.

My Thoughts…

Heads or Tails is a easy read, yet covers a not so easy topic.  Post partum depression is not something that is talked about often.   Leslie A. Gordon took this topic and gave it the attention it needs while still being considerate and understanding to those who suffer from it.     It cannot be easy to want a baby and then once you have one not be able to care for it as it deserves.    Then to have to choose who can take care of the baby for you, it has to be shattering.  

While I did not know a lot of about Margot and her history, I love the friendship between Hillary and Margot.    To know that you can trust a person who has always she does not want children to raise and care for your child while you heal is definitely what I would call trust.   I had to laugh, numerous times, at how clueless Hillary was concerning Gretchen.   But I was also impressed with how quickly she figured out what had to be done and how to get it done.     She was inventive in some of her fixes but always kept Gretchen safe and healthy.   I could tell she was falling in love with Gretchen long before she realized it herself.   

Jesse was my biggest worry.   As Hillary’s husband it was important that he supported Hillary and Gretchen.  I was worried that he would walk away from them leaving them to flounder.    Yet, he turned into something I was not expecting.     The way he changed made me thing about what their future could be.

There is more to this story, including Abe’s storyline, but you really need to read the book to find out about him.      I recommend checking out this book right away.   It is not a long book, just the right amount of pages to tell the entire story .   


**Thank you Leslie A. Gordon for sharing a copy with me.    This review is my thoughts.  I was not reimbursed in any way for my review.   

Book Links
Author Links
Website   |   Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment