Friday, October 28, 2016

You Will Not Have My Hate by Antoine Leiris

Hardcover, 144 pages
Expected publication: October 25th 2016 by Penguin Press 
On 13 November 2015, Antoine Leiris’s wife, Hélène, was killed, along with 88 other people at the Bataclan Theatre in Paris, when three men armed with guns and suicide bombs opened fire on the unsuspecting crowd at a rock concert. Three days later, Leiris, a young journalist, wrote an open letter on Facebook addressed to his wife’s killers. Leiris refused to be cowed or to let his 17-month-old son’s life be defined by Hélène’s murder. He refused to let the killers have their way. ‘For as long as he lives, this little boy will insult you with his happiness and freedom,’ he wrote. Instantly, that short Facebook post caught fire. It was shared over two hundred thousand times and was reported on all over the world. In his beautiful and moving defiance of the terrorists who had killed his wife, Leiris became an international hero to everyone searching desperately for a way to deal with the horror of the attacks.


You Will Not Have My Hate
 is an extraordinary and heartbreaking memoir about how Leiris, and his baby son Melvil, endured after Hélène’s murder. With courage, moral acuity, and absolute emotional honesty, Leiris finds a way to answer the question, how can I go on? This is the rare and unforgettable testimony of a survivor, and a universal message of hope and resilience. Leiris is guiding star for us all in perilous times. 

My Thoughts…

Antoine Leiris could have written this book in so many ways.   Instead of focusing on the horrific event of the Bataclan Theatre bombings in Paris he took his story and spun it into a beautiful tale.   You Will Not Have My Hate is the tale of a husband and father having to figure out how to live life without the love of his life by his side.     He takes the loss of his wife and the loss of his son’s mother and makes it into something that made him stronger.      Antoine steps up, continues to live, and continues to make a happy existence for his son.    

The story is not long, only 144 pages, yet there is such a punch to the story.        My heart was tugged at, my mind was tested, and my life was affected.    I stopped and thought about how my life could be changed if something happen to my husband, what if something happen to me and he had to take over… it opened my eyes to what those who lost someone have to do just to get through the day. 

This is an inspiring story.    I look up to Antoine and I have never met him.   Not everyone can go through the loss of a spouse in the way he has and come out not full of hate.    

Book Links
Amazon   |   Goodreads   |   Barnes and Noble   


No comments:

Post a Comment