Sunday, August 12, 2018

GUEST POST by Kathleen McGillick author of The Last Lie She Told



What literary pilgrimages have you gone on?

During my younger years I didn’t have the funds to travel, I focused on work and school. However, in 1996 I worked on a legal case that brought me the funds that allowed me to travel extensively over a year period. I packed my bags and my son and I made several trips to Europe and the UK each more magical than the previous trip. Once the wanderlust bug had me it never let go.

The first place where my feet touched foreign soil was the UK, London to be exact. The mystery and magic that surrounded that visit still lingers today. I was never a history buff in college and in fact had done everything I could to avoid taking a history course, except for those required. Big mistake. As the past came alive in every UK city we visited includes those of Britain, Wales and Scotland my mind exploded with possibilities of sharing out adventures. And thus my travel journey was born and I made new entries every few months with new travels. 

How do you explain the magic of walking through a thick fog at the Tower of London and standing in front of Traitors Gate as you envision Princess Elizabeth gliding through on her way to the Tower destined to be held prisoner by her sister Bloody Mary. How can you describe to people how Mary Queens of Scots was trapped in the Palace of Holyroodhouse where she was forced to watch her friend stabbed by an out-of-control mob? Only though research and lots of reading was it possible to marry the memory of the actual place and story and thus began my infant writing career.

For every place I visited I shared with my friends on my mailing list so they could see each place through my fresh eyes. With each email questions were returned which started a spark to dig deeper and deeper. More research and more need to share my research.  For each trip back even to the same place new experiences bubbled and a new topic were generated. As I visited museums, I always read the travel guides about the place and made certain to visit each piece of important art. And with the visit I always generated research about each piece. Now over twenty years from the start of my art appreciation journey I have ten notebooks and thirty text books about art which I used in writing my first book THREE: Deception Love Murder.

Europe has always been a place I return to to energize my mind. I don’t drive a luxury car, my luxury car payments are my trips. And with my trips I make it a point to visit places I’ve been and new places so there is a balance of the comfort of old and the wonder of new. Last year when I mulled ideas about my first book I had hit a block. I knew what I wanted it to be in general terms but I was having trouble outlining the work. I had a trip to London and Paris already booked and decided just to let my mind rest. But my mind had other ideas. As we were walking along the Boulevard St Michael something clicked in my mind and my first book gelled and I knew where it would go. Upon return I bought poster boards for story boarding, researched, fleshed out my characters and outline and six weeks later I was done. 


My books draw heavily from my travels and I hope never to run out of ideas. But for my trips would there be books? If you’d like to see my inspiration go to https://travelingesquire.smugmug.com/


The Last Lie She Told


Lies and misdirection rule the game.

To some, Fiona O’Dell is clever and manipulative. To others, she is a dangerous sociopath. One thing is certain - she’s trouble wherever she goes. Now she has vanished from her job, but not before being seen leaving a motel room where one man is found dead, another on the edge of death. Is this grizzly crime scene a BDSM encounter gone wrong? Or is it related to a company data breach where all three are employed? 
Private security expert Lee Stone and NYPD Detective Belle Hughes are assigned to the case. In a race to find Fiona, they track her across four states and shocked to find men from her past are being murdered. With little information and even less evidence, each new crime scene brings more questions than answers.
While secrets are revealed, there is only one conclusion: Fiona controls the game, the players, even the course of the investigation. The danger escalates, and the game must be mastered, or all fall victim to it. As Lee and Belle struggle to put all the pieces together, the two investigators find their relationship heats up as they are drawn to each other. Looking for a murder mystery with a feisty female detective that’s filled with twists and turns? Explore The Last Lie She Told for a thrill ride that leaves you guessing until the end.
Purchase Links
The Last Lie She Told is 99p/c for until the 14th August.




Author Bio – K. J. McGillick was born in New York and once she started to walk she never stopped running. But that's what New Yorker's do. Right?

As she evolved so did her career choices. After completing her graduate degree in nursing she spent many years in the university setting sharing the dreams of the enthusiastic nursing students she taught. After twenty rewarding years in the medical field she attended law school and has spent the last twenty-four years as an attorney helping people navigate the turbulent waters of the legal system. Not an easy feat. And now? Now she is sharing the characters she loves with readers hoping they are intrigued by her twisting and turning plots and entertained by her writing.




11th – 13th August -  Three:Deception  Love Murder also by K.J. McGilick will be FREE



No comments:

Post a Comment