Wednesday, January 9, 2019

REVIEW of An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen


Hardcover, 384 pages
Expected publication: January 8th 2019 by St. Martin's Press



The next novel of psychological suspense and obsession from the authors of the blockbuster bestseller The Wife Between Us

Seeking women ages 18–32 to participate in a study on ethics and morality. Generous compensation. Anonymity guaranteed. 

When Jessica Farris signs up for a psychology study conducted by the mysterious Dr. Shields, she thinks all she’ll have to do is answer a few questions, collect her money, and leave. But as the questions grow more and more intense and invasive and the sessions become outings where Jess is told what to wear and how to act, she begins to feel as though Dr. Shields may know what she’s thinking…and what she’s hiding. As Jess’s paranoia grows, it becomes clear that she can no longer trust what in her life is real, and what is one of Dr. Shields’ manipulative experiments. Caught in a web of deceit and jealousy, Jess quickly learns that some obsessions can be deadly.

From the authors of the blockbuster bestseller The Wife Between Us comes an electrifying new novel about doubt, passion, and just how much you can trust someone. 

My Thoughts…

 I love a good psychological thriller and that is just what I was hoping this one would be.    The idea is wonderful.   A young woman becomes part of a study on ethics and morality, she answers some questions via computer, collects her money, and end of story.   Well, not quite.   She meets the doctor in charge of the study and there becomes more and more questions.    

The chapters are written in alternating views of Dr. Shields and Jessica.   There was no indication at the beginning of the chapter as to who was telling their story but after a few sentences, it was easy to figure out.    Dr. Shields chapters were boring.   She was repetitive, self-centered, and all over the place in her ramblings.     Jessica was easier to follow but not overly interesting to me.    I struggled to connect to either character, I wasn’t invested in their stories, and I just could not finish the book.  

Since finishing An Anonymous Girl I have looked at other reviews (I don’t do that before I read the book) and see that so many others have given it 4 or 5 stars so maybe I just didn’t give it enough time, although I made it to 25% into the book.    I am also a firm believer that every book has its readers, sometimes it’s just not me.   

Add this to Goodreads


Purchase your own copy at Amazon or Barnes and Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment